How can I appeal my assessed and/or taxable value?

Change Notices are sent out at the end of February of each year. When you get your change notice, it will tell you when the March Board of Review will meet and where to call for an appointment. Before your hearing you will want to gather as much information as possible to prove to the Board of Review that your assessed and/or taxable value is too high. Typically this information would consist of sales of similar homes in your area. The assessing department keeps a list of all the properties in the Township and which ones have sold.

If you are not satisfied with the decision of the March Board of Review, you can then appeal to the Michigan Tax Tribunal (MTT), however, you cannot appeal to the MTT unless you first appealed to the March Board of Review. The deadline to file an appeal with the MTT is June 30th of each year. 

The Board of Review also meets in July and December, however, they can only consider "clerical errors", "mutual mistakes of fact", and poverty exemption appeals for the current year, qualified agricultural exemptions, and disabled veterans exemptions.

Show All Answers

1. How do I contact the assessor about a property?
2. I just received a Notice of Assessment that has "This is not a bill" on it. What is it and what does this mean?
3. I did not file my Principal Residence Exemption Affidavit. How can I get my taxes adjusted?
4. I recently purchased a home in Livingston County. Why isn't my assessed value half of what I paid for the property?
5. Why can't current real estate listings be used when determining the value of my home for assessment purposes?
6. Are financial institution sales used in the sales study?
7. How do I calculate an approximate amount of annual property tax dollars for a property?
8. How often is my property evaluated?
9. If I add a deck to my house is it taxable?
10. How can I appeal my assessed and/or taxable value?
11. What is the Board of Review and what does it do?
12. How can I obtain Property Tax Forms?
13. How do I qualify for a Homeowners Principal Residence Exemption (FKA Homestead Property Exemption)?
14. How can I get a copy of a subdivision plat or master agreement?
15. Do you have a survey of my property?